View Single Post
Old October 14, 2005, 06:45 AM   #23
John28226

Gun Safety

Joven, if the gun is a revolver, a simple and inexpensive (also accessible) safety device is 2 good quality padlocks keyed alike and a 2 foot length of good chain - both hardware store items. Empty the gun; check to make sure it is empty!; secure the padlock BEHIND the trigger and attempt to pull the trigger. For every revolver I have seen, the padlock shank will act as a trigger block and will not allow the trigger to be pressed far enough to fire. That should be the case with all but the cheapest small shank padlocks. If it works as stated, reload the gun, lock the gun (behind the trigger) to one end of the chain; loop the other end of the chain around the bed frame and lock it there with the other padlock. Each night when the kids are in bed, unlock the gun and place it where you can get to in quickly; remember each morning to resecure the gun. That ritual must be executed every day! Once the children are old enough, teach them gun safety and how to shoot.

My son received his first .22 at age 7 (we kept it in our bedroom - it was a child's stocked miniture lever action single shot); my daughter inherited the same gun at the same age. At that time I kept the handgun (a Smith K 38) loaded with Speer plastic ammo because I felt it would do what I needed to do in an emergency but would not be fatal.

Just suggestions. Try it and see how it works for you. Good question by the way.

John

Page generated in 0.03541 seconds with 8 queries