View Single Post
Old January 29, 2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Rescue2

Thanks to all

I appreciate the comments, and they have given me a general impression that a woman can (and will) shoot a P239 in .40...

However, I gather that 9mm is more prevalent, and that .40 has some characteristics that can be viewed as less desireable (not just for the ladies)...

My wife's handgun shooting experience is nil. Nadda. Shotguns, yes. Pistols = nuttin'... Hence I am scrambling to make sure I don't screw it up for her.

I have declined to follow her suggestion of, "You can teach me what I need to know." I probably have a couple of not so good habits (none of which I'm inclined to admit publicly) that I don't want her to pick up in her primary source of learnin'...

To that end, I'm making arrangements (with her concurrence) for an hour of private instruction at the range from an NRA Certified Training Counselor, where she will receive the fundamentals and safety training that will forge the foundation of any further handgun knowledge and training.

Kathy,
I appreciate your comments, too. Even the "*shakes head sadly*" part.

Yours was one of the first weapons oriented sites that I bookmarked, and I've read just about everything you've posted (especially about how guys have no bizness 'choosing' their lady friends weapon). I value your opinions and the effort you put into sharing your knowledge on "The Cornered Cat".

*Deciding* what's best for her use is not my intent in any form. She gets to do that. Honest. She's got to touch it, feel it, and fire it ('it' being the various handguns that will be available for her evaluation) to make the final decision. I understand that part of the deal...

My reasoning to try out the P239 in .40 was so that *I* would have direct knowledge of the differences in "feel" between the same load in that weapon, and the P229. If only as a reference point to be able to empathize with her perceptions...

I have a friend (female) that has a P239-9mm that loves it (and whose gun I shot), that has much smaller hands than my wife. Her ability to operate the gun properly gave me the idea that this same model gun might be a fairly reasonable platform for my wife to try out. Keeping the .40 caliber commonality in the family was my idea. Maybe a wrong one, but that's what happens when an analytical type guy starts processing the variables...

Let's see what shakes out, and go from there...

Page generated in 0.02654 seconds with 8 queries