View Single Post
Old June 16, 2009, 08:14 PM   #1
KyJim

Sig P238 - First Impressions

Sig P238 - Initial Impressions - Part 1

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get to the range yet, but here are some initial impressions of my new Sig P238.

I have carried a Colt Mustang .380 off and on for about 20 years.It was the most accurate small pistol I've ever shot or, maybe it's more accurate to say I have shot it more accurately than any other pocket pistol. It has been 100% reliable, too. Still, I was beginning to worry about parts replacement if it broke since it has been out of production for a while now. I recently retired my Mustang from active duty in favor of the Ruger LCP.

When Sig announced they were they were coming out with a clone of the Mustang, I knew I wanted one. I got on an early list with my gun dealer who said Sig expected to start shipping at the end of May. I didn't really believe it because of the long delays with the LCP from Ruger. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call a few days ago that the Sig P238 had arrived. I finally got by the dealer and picked up the pistol.

I went with the two-tone finish and elected not to get night sights since it is a pocket pistol and is more of a point and shoot type of gun. Opinions differ. When I put my name on the purchase list, I wasn't given the choice of grip color. I was glad to see mine came in black, though I expect replacement grips to become available shortly. Fit and finish on the small pistol are very nice. The mag release button is serrated which adds to the refined look of the gun. The frontstrap has wide serrations which is supposed to help with grip purchase. I could not tell a lot of difference in how it felt and how my Mustang, without serrations, felt. Perhaps I'll be able to tell more of a difference when I shoot it. At any rate, it is nice looking.

Sig lists the weight of the P238 at 15.2 ounces without a mag. I've seen reports the Mustang weighs 18 ounces. The smaller postal scales to which I have access were on the fritz. I could verify on a larger scale that the Mustang is heavier. Here are how the two pistols size up next to each other.

The sights on the Sig of the two dot variety (or post and dot). They seem to offer quick acquisition which is what is needed if you're going to use sights on a pocket pistol. They should be quicker to sight than the Mustang's but it remains to be seen if they are as accurate.

More to follow . . .

Page generated in 0.03138 seconds with 8 queries