View Single Post
Old June 18, 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
KyJim

Sig P238 - First Impressions Part 3

I got to the range this afternoon and put about 50 rounds of Aguilla and WWB through the Sig. I also took along my Mustang for comparison purposes.

I like to shoot point of aim for a defensive carry pistol. The Sig shot maybe 3 inches high and an 1 and half inches to the left at 7 yards. I shot a few with an informal rest and believe this to be the true impact point. With a minor adjustment on my part, my shots were in the black, though still just a bit high. They were all grouped together pretty well. For comparison, my Mustang was pretty much right at point of aim.

Subjectively the trigger pull on the Sig felt just barely heavier than the Mustang's. I suspect it will light a bit after I shoot it more. The sights on the Sig were quicker to acquire and easier to see than the Mustang's, though not as precise as the Mustang's. This is not a problem in a short-range defensive handgun.

The Sig had zero failures to eject and one failure to feed which was due to the magazine catch releasing the mag to drop a quarter inch or so from the magwell. On another shot, the slide failed to lock back because the mag had again been partially ejected. It appears that my thumb was depressing the mag release button. After I adjusted my customary semi-auto grip, I experienced no more problems.

I can also report that, as I suspected and kentucky_smith reported, the 238 takes the same magazine as the Colt Mustang. I tried three different Mustang mags in the Sig, and all three worked well.

That's pretty much it. Except for having to keep my thumb off the mag release button, I couldn't be more pleased. I think the Sig is inherently just as accurate as the Colt but that the combat style sights on the 238 make it more difficult to shoot as accurately as the Mustang.

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 8 queries