View Single Post
Old January 21, 2005, 11:24 AM   #7
scbair

My Dad located & private-purchased an FN M1910 (I believe the 1922 was just a somewhat "extended" version of the 1910) upon his arrival in Eurpoe in 1943 . . . He said it provided great comfort when he wasn't able to have his carbine in his mitts!

Funny sequel: I wasn't born until the mid 50s, and developed a serious interest in handguns when I was just a lad (grew up hunting & rifle shooting with Dad). I never even knew he had the old M1910 until I happened to be walking by one day as he was going through an old footlocker, looking for some type of paperwork. I had read everything I could get my hands on, though.

I spied the old FN, and commented that I never knew he had a pistol! He wryly replied "For all the good it is." I asked what he meant, and he said, "It's chambered for some strange European cartridge . . . see? 7.65 . . . . When WWII ended, and I was getting ready to head back to the States, I registered the pistol with the Army, and was told I could bring it back, but NO AMMUNITION. The Army didn't want a bunch of young, happy, overexcited guys with loaded guns aboard the ship. I dumped all my ammo into the river, so this might make a good paperweight."

I laughed, and asked if he wanted to head to the local hardware store and get a box of ammo. He was flabbergasted to learn his "paperweight" could fire the readily available .32 ACP. He was even more flabbergasted that I knew that (and he didn't).

My thoughts: Boy, wasn't it nice when the government trusted its troops enough to permit them to obtain and return with privately purchased defensive arms?

Page generated in 0.03510 seconds with 8 queries