View Single Post
Old January 6, 2002, 06:55 PM   #25
agtman

nvrquit:

After reading that thread recounting the absolutely pathetic treatment you received from EAA, all I can say is, you handled it better than I probably would have. You were extremely civil to them in what had to be extremely frustrating circumstances. Regardless of pistol or caliber involved, it simply doesn't speak well for EAA.

Quick question: somewhere among the posts in that thread, you expressed interest in the pre-sellout Smith 10mm series. Did you ever pick one up?

As far as I can recall, I've only read one post where someone claimed their Smith 10mm was a lemon. My experience has been consistently positive. I believe that to be true of others as well (from reviewing many posts on TFL and elsewhere).

Besides my 1076, which is the most accurate semi-auto I've ever owned, I've handled & shot the 1006 and 1066. All were very accurate, and 100% reliable. Not one FTF, fire, eject, extract, etc., and no magazine-related jams.

You mentioned being interested in a "compact all-steel 10mm," and while not as small as the Witness compact, the 4.25" barrelled 1076s & 1066s pack pretty slim & trim. But they are heavy SOBs. However, that weight, plus putting in a Wolff 20lb recoil spring, makes these "Commander"-sized Smiths quite controllable, even with the hot 10mm loads.

Concerns have been expressed that the 1076's Sig-style, frame-mounted decocker is "fragile," but I've never had any problem with mine - well over a thousand rounds. Still, Smith's traditional slide-mounted decocker is on the 1066 if the other is an issue.

To my knowledge, the 10mm version of the 4516-2 (the 1016?) never made it off the drawing boards. So the Smith 1076s/1066s were as "compact" as Smith ever offered.

Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.03992 seconds with 8 queries