View Single Post
Old October 24, 2008, 03:15 AM   #84
Inspector3711

This discussion is something else. Remington makes great rifles in general. Is every Rem700 a tack driver out of the box? Nope! I have one that shoots .75" groups (.223) which is good but not exceptional and I have another that shoots .500" (.22-250) and I'm still breaking it in (for the folks that don't know, thats 100 rounds, not 1000 rounds and a Savage or Tikka isn't much cheaper than a Remy these days).

I've seen Savage rifles that are in both boats as well. I saw a guy with a 110 last winter that was shooting 2" groups the first time he ever fired it. He wasn't pleased and looked very confused. Hopefully he found a load it liked later or it broke in better. Maybe it needed rework. I saw another guy pull a 17HMR out of the box and within 50 rounds he was making one ragged hole, it was stringing vertically for the first few shots. I'm going to estimate a .300" group for that little Savage.

Every car company makes a lemon now and then too.

I have a cheapie 10/22 varmint barrel that will shoot 10 shot .500" groups at 50 yards with the stock trigger while most barrels of this brand and model shoot 1" 5 shot groups. I have put it up against $300+ barrels and was pleased. It was $100 new. In that case I got lucky.

Nothing wrong with most bolt action rifles today. Let the Remington guy that got a good shooter be proud and let the Savage guy be proud too. There are Rems that will shoot with Savage out of the box and visa versa. If you get tired of Remington or Savage posts then don't read them.

Someone didn't like the slop you feel when the Remington bolt is open... Try that on a Mauser sometime, it easily has twice the slop. That slop helps keep a Mauser working in the mud. I have a sloppy 30 year old Commercial Mauser in .25-06 that will make a cloverleaf with the right loads. It's bone stock except for the wood.

Page generated in 0.03376 seconds with 8 queries