View Single Post
Old July 23, 2009, 02:18 PM   #6
MLeake

I love dogs.

And have advocated them as warning systems many times on TFL. Nice to see you're of like mind.

I'd also say you did just fine. Since you asked for critiques, though:

1) I keep my SureFire on the nightstand, where I can find it immediately. A handgun is also within easy reach; sounds like you keep gun and light in a quick access lockbox. That makes sense for the gun, but why the light?

2) As you noted, you probably should have cleared the room you passed en route to the dog. However, in your position I'd have probably done the same thing you did, assuming the dog would have shifted priority to a threat that much closer if somebody had been there.

3) If you have landlines, just keep a pad and pen by each phone. Useful for messages. Of course, a lot of us don't have landlines any more... guess you could keep pads by your desktop and on the counter by the fridge - those are pretty standard places and easy to remember.

4) Adding floodlights was a good idea. Why not add some motion sensors. Seems like between the barking and the lights, the guys left.

5) Not sure if the edge of your front lawn would be considered "right of way." Guys may or may not have been within legal rights to sit where they were. Just something to think about.

6) Dry runs aren't a bad idea. Pretty rare among non-military and LEO, I think. The only civilian friends I have that I know have done dry runs of this nature are boat owners, and have done their drills primarily in case of a hijacking attempt of their 44' sloop in the Gulf or Caribbean. Last dry run I can remember in my family was a fire drill my dad ran when I was a kid.

Page generated in 0.02180 seconds with 8 queries