View Single Post
Old July 25, 2009, 03:45 AM   #25
BillCA

I think you did well from your description. Not much to criticize that you haven't thought of already.
  • 18 seconds is too long from the point of "alert" to acquisition of the firearm. But you explained why.
  • Did the wife check for dial tone as one of her tasks? Should do. Only if no dial tone does she need to say anything - like "phone's dead". That would change my tactical mindset fast.
  • Wife should have a simple wheelgun near her side of the bed... unless she can't/doesn't/won't shoot.
  • I use nightlights around the house (to avoid stepping on cats) and they're set up to throw shadows where I can see them from the bedroom door. (food for thought).

Re: Light fumbling - been there, done that. Also have had the spousal unit "borrow". Here's other solution - keep a back-up light handy. It doesn't need to be a tac-light, but a decent flashlight. If it has a lanyard, hang it on the bedroom/closet doorknob so you know where it is. If you fumble the tac-light and it rolls under the bed, grab the other one. I have two. A cheap green D-cell plastic light with a hardware store name on it and a six C-cell "lantern" that puts out a very bright beam.

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries