View Single Post
Old April 15, 2002, 01:59 PM   #18
USPTac

Own a P99 and a USP

The grip of the Tac is the right size, but it really needed a Hogue sleeve to be comfortable for me. The P99 is completely ergonomic, and feels great! I disagree with the posters who claim the USP is more comfortable. The USP grip is more positive, however.

The USP (Tac .45 fullsize) is definitely more accurate in my hands than the P99 for slow firing. I can put all shots in the black, nicely grouped at 50 feet with the Tac. They spread out quite a bit with the Walther. I attribute some of this to the chintzy sights on the P99 and the good sites on the USP. USP seems to have a softer recoil, but muzzle flip is higher (this is .45 vs 9mm, so dunno how informative this is - I have shot a USP in 9mm, and from what I can remember, the P99 feels "snappy" - more of a sharp kick.) Close range, there's not that much difference in group size, but the Tac still edges the Walther.

The recoil spring assembly in the P99 strikes me as very cheap. This is one of the parts I would like to replace (other being the sights.)

For quick drills in "defensive range", I would go with the Walther - this is probably a feature of the caliber, but it's quick and light to deploy, fits my hand like a glove, and points right on. I can shoot much more quickly (I think this is the advantage of not having the USP's recoil reduction double spring system.)

Generally, I think the USP is more of a quality piece with classy, confidence-inspiring components, but the P99 is beautiful to my eye and hand, and a superior choice for carry.

Matt

Page generated in 0.04191 seconds with 8 queries