View Single Post
Old December 11, 2001, 02:27 AM   #15
IamNOTaNUT

From my experience I will say that they are a great training aid and nothing more. If you want to demonstrate trigger control, both good and bad, dry fire with a laser equipped weeapon. More significantly for me is in the teaching of tactics. Trying to get the idea across that you cannot run and place accurate weapons fire at the same time is difficult with some people. My instructions are to move no faster than you can while placing accurate fire. By handing the student a weapon with a laser, he or she can see the little red dot going all over the damn place when they do not follow the proper movement techniques. They can also see how steady they can be when they do things right. It speeds the learning curve.

I must respectfully disagree with an earlier post regarding the use of lasers on tac teams. This is a definite NO-NO. When you make an entry as a team you have four or five red dots, possibly on the same target. Trying to figure out which one is yours is next to impossible when you only have a fraction of a second to engage (or not). There is still no replacement for proper use of the front sight in a team environment.

One last remark - A Crimson Trace laser grip is completely worthless until the moment you are actually ready to fire, thus negating any perceived intimidation factor. Why do I say this? Simple. When your trigger finger is riding along the edge of the frame, where it should be prior to making the decision to fire, your finger blocks the little red dot.

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries