View Single Post
Old August 30, 2002, 02:56 PM   #2
Christopher II

Seems like everyone is doing one of these nowadays. All for the best, 7.62mm semis can never be too popular.

A couple things:

Accuracy - The only one that is generally too inaccurate for MBR use is the G3. I've never seen a G3 or clone group better then 3MOA. The FAL will usually do 2, and if you want to dump a bunch of cash into it will go 0.75-1MOA with match ammo. The M14 will do the same for less money. The AR10 is in a class by itself.

Handling/Ergonomics - If you're left-handed, the M14 is way out in front. For 'lil old right-handed me the safety and bolt handle location really cause a problem.

Sighting options - The FAL iron sights suck, but the Para rear sight from DSA is a beefed-up AR style without the stupid and delicate ranging wheel. Highly recommended.

Also, tritium sights are only available for the AR10 and G3. DSA is working on a set for the FAL, but no one knows when it will hit the market.

Trigger - The G3 trigger is so bad it's almost not worth mentioning, though I've heard (Boston's 2002 Gun Bible revision) that you can drop in a CETME trigger group that's a lot better.

Overall - I went for a FAL. My next choice would be an M14. I like the AR10, but don't trust it enough to make it my primary system. I have no love whatsoever for the G3.

What this means to you - Decide which catagories are most important to you, and pick the rifle that fufills them. Better get two, while you're at it.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries