View Single Post
Old September 2, 2002, 04:22 PM   #10
MAD DOG

FWIW: I did the trigger work on BTP's Cetme.

I have owned and shot all of ther aforementioned weapons.
The ones I kept were the FAL and the HK91.
Why?
They are by far the most reilable and robust, work best when dirty, sandy, whatever, and have completely adequate accuracy (<1.5 MOA) for MBRs.
And that, after all, is what MBRs are all about.

The HK91 is impossible to beat for brute durability and overall robustness. Cleaning issues are minimal, as it requires cleaning so seldom.
The HK91 will shoot 1 MOA or better with the right ammo, and it is totally ammo insensitive when it comes to going BANG and then cycling. Even that crappy Venezualan stuff works. God knows where the Venezualan bullet will end up, but it does cycle.

There are several after market rear sights for the HK91. The Express Sights ghost ring version (formerly Ashley Outdoors) is the best of the lot, far better than the retarded drum sight the 91 comes with.
The only way to scope the 91 and be able to maintain a decent cheek weld is to braze some very low steel bases onto the receiver, then refinish the receiver. Use a scope with small eye piece and objective bells to minimize height off the receiver.
I am using a set of machined to fit Warne bases, Warne QD low rings, and a Leupold 1.75-6X Vari X III on mine. Perfect return to zero, and no overpriced alien insect looking saddle clamps to fuss with.
The "as issued" ergonomics could be better, but with the paddlle style mag release and a reworked custom safety lever, all is well.
The one overweaning shortcoming of the HK91 is that it is so damned nose heavy.

The FAL gets the nod for ergonomics and easy scope-ability.
Trigger mods are time consuming, but once accomplished, can render a very nice single stage trigger.
The adjustable gas system is a nice bonus, as cycling and accuracy can be tuned for various ammo.
The new DSA versions are excellent, and offer a lot of variants not available in other semi auto MBR weapons.

At my behest, DSA has recently switched to 1-10" twist barrels. The situation prompting this was the release of their new Medium Weight Tactical 16" barrel, which originally was offered with a 1-11" or 1-12" twist barrel. It refused to stabilize bullets over 147 grains, due to the short barrel and relatively slow twist for that barrel length.
Groups opened up from 1.25 MOA to over 4 MOA when switching from 147 gr Portugese ball to 168 grain match ammo.
Thankfully, John Milano at DSA listens, and made the switch.
The latest test weapons are on their way to me now.
One of the best possible FALs, or any other MBR for that matter, that I can envision would be the DSA Medium Weight Tactical with a PARA folding stock and a flash hider, topped with my favorite Leupold 1.75-6X vari X II on QD rings. All that, and a bag of chips, for sure.
Shown with fixed stock:

http://64.177.53.248/images/fal_all.jpg

http://64.177.53.248/images/fal_side.jpg

Look for my upcoming article in SWAT on these fine weapons.

The MIA has a beautiful "rifleman's trigger" and great iron sights, but sucks for scope mounting and dirt resistance. I also hate the way the safety is situated inside the trigger guard. Some may argue that the Winter Trigger cures this, but in plain fact, it only reduces the problem, it doesn't eliminate it.
The rollers on the bolt are very dirt sensitive, and the inboard/outboard op rod is a weak point in the design.
All in all, not enough redeeming features to ameliorate the shortcomings of the basic mechanical design.

The AR10 is a wonderfully ergonomic and very accurate alloy framed POS, subject to all of the usual AR series of problems, plus disgustingly over priced magazines. A gun suitable for use on rifle ranges and golf courses only. :barf:

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries