View Single Post
Old September 6, 2002, 10:15 AM   #23
Hawaii

Magazine

When I purchased my AR10tnc, I also purchased 20 magazine conversion kits at the costs of the 30 dollars per kit. I then went to the local gun show and bought 20 M1a magazines. I bought the cheapest ones I could find. From one table I bought 10 magazines of 25 dollars. These magazines were dented and unusable in an M1a but could be used for the conversion kits. I found 10 more that were in about the same conditions for a good price. Total cost per 20 round complete AR10 magazine was 42 dollars. Still costly but not near 100 dollars. (note to self buy more converstion kits and resell at higher price)

Reliabilty

I have a friend with a DSA (FAL) that thought the AR10 was not reliable, so while at the range we had a little competition. We used the dirtiest old ammunition we could find. We also used to some of the best reloads I could make. The end result after 250 rounds and no cleaning,

AR10 - one failure to feed

DSA – one failure to extract

Accuracy

We used Federal 168 Match ammunition, 3 round group.

AR10 - .52 @ 100 yards

DSA – 1.68 @ 100 yards

Cost of the Rifles

AR10 target Navy Carbine 1775.00

DSA (FAL) 1450.00

The real difference in cost is the fact that my AR10 is the target model. SS barrel, 2 stage trigger, and free floated.

End result. They both did great considering the fact we dropped all the ammunition in the dirt before we started. As for myself, I think I will stay with the AR10tnc. Some people say that AR10 is not a combat type rifle, I would disagree. Also during the Gulf War and my time in the Marines, I just got confortable with the AR. I will always keep my pre/ban AR-15's but the AR-10 just gives that extra kick.

Hawaii

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries