View Single Post
Old August 18, 2007, 12:05 AM   #16
springmom

But you know....

Here in the Houston area, I can see this kind of thing playing out in case of a disaster. Mayor White is one of the Bloomburg mayoral group, and I can just see him enlisting the ministers in the inner city of whatever faith flavor, to "keep things calm". In the cities, particularly in the inner city (at least here) there ARE ministers who are community leaders. Recently there was a news article here about preserving some of the brick streets down in Freetown because the bricks were laid by former slaves who founded the community. Guess who was out there featured in the media, talking about putting pressure on the city to make sure it got done? Yup. One of the local ministers in that community.

Now, in the suburbs and further out, where people may drive 10, 20, even 30 or 40 miles to get to church (as many of our congregation does), the role of "community leader" is diluted by the sheer dispersal of the community served by that clergy. But down in the city?

Here in Texas, I have difficulty seeing the state government rolling over for this, but I *could* see local governments thinking that it might just be the bees' knees for keeping the peace.

Just a thought.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Page generated in 0.02466 seconds with 8 queries