View Single Post
Old May 5, 2006, 05:19 PM   #11
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by casingpoint
The experts say don't challenge, shoot. The new Castle Doctrine laws make your defense much easier. But without a Castle Doctrine law, you may have to say something to establish a justifiable reason to shoot.
I don't know who these experts are but it will be your butt in jail and not theirs. What if the unidentified person a friend of a family member's friend? What if the intruder was not armed? Do you take human life so lightly as to kill unnecesarily? Even justified shootings are usually pretty traumatic unless you are a cold blooded killer. Don't get me wrong, I am willing to kill if I have to... but only if I have to.

I would challenge from a position of cover with my weapon drawn. The challenge would probably go something like "Don't move or I'll shoot". That way the bad guy knows I am armed. I'd followed with "Get on the floor face down and put your hands behind your head" and probably "The police have been called and are on their way". If the make a quick movement like they are reaching for a gun, then I would shoot.

This is where I feel a laser might give a strong psychological advantage and improve the chances of the bad guy surrendering without firing a shot. A red dot on someone's chest is pretty intimidating. Even though it is possible to miss with a laser with poor trigger control, I'm willing to bet that most bad guys tend to believe that you won't miss with a laser. I won't count on the laser for aiming purposes but hope to turn a shoot situation into a no-shoot one.

Page generated in 0.03408 seconds with 8 queries