View Single Post
Old May 25, 2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Incognito

5W-20

Quote:
Maybe you can tell me where my train of though is derailed.
When you put grease on, it's only a very thin film that is needed, sort of like a slick thin sheen on the parts. Afterwards, the parts feel like they're floating, and not making contact with each other. It is very much the same way oil works, except that it doesn't migrate. Now if you tried to stir a jar of grease as opposed to a jar of oil, there would be a considerable difference, but where not talking about such quantities. That's a common misconception about grease, in that people tend to think of it sort of like a chassis with it "ozzing" out everywhere; not much is needed. Now granted, in extremely cold temperatures, certain greases and oils can become thicker. Nonetheless, the two I mentioned above have operating ranges which are way beyond where I would want to be.

When it comes to lubrication, your going to get as many opinions as there are products out there. The two I mentioned are by far "my favorites" and the only ones I use. This includes using these products in "work guns" which are exposed daily to environmental factors (heat, cold, dust, ect.), and I can say from personal experience that they work for me.

Last edited by Incognito; May 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.02711 seconds with 8 queries