View Single Post
Old January 27, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Walipala

Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping to hear. Actually for me I don't think there's an option, since the type of barrel I want is a "Gov't profile" type, 20"L, with a 1:9" twist. As far as I know, Bushmaster is the only mfr that makes this profile in this twist (as a standard model), and Bushmaster chromes all their barrels.

And it's not going to be target target rifle anyway. No bipod, high-power scope, free-floated, or any of that stuff. I just read something that got me to wondering what the trade-offs might be. FWIW, I am thinking of using Tubbs Final Finish to smooth out what ever type of barrel I get. I figure it can't hurt.

--------------------------------------

BTW, that button/cut rifling thread was enlightening, but it left me with a few questions. So, button is just a method of making rifling in a barrel, and the more... uh, budget way at that? I'd swear that every .22-cal barrel I've ever read about, both rim-fire and center-fire has been described in the literature as having "button rifling". Does this really mean that the mfr is not describing the type/style of the rifling but rather just that they did it inexpensively?

Page generated in 0.02879 seconds with 8 queries