View Single Post
Old July 25, 2002, 08:45 AM   #15
Steve Smith

Sorry, I still don't have a home computer....

I cannot say what either gentleman was using specifically, the AMU keeps a tight lid on their loads. However, for Grant Singley's performance, I know a little. I know the AMU switched to the 77gr Sierra MatchKing for thee shortline loads (200 and 300 yards) and they're still using 80 grain SMK's for 600 yards. That is almost a standard setup for all Highpower shoters these days. It really works well. Chances are thay they are using VV135 or 140 I'd guess for the powder, or RL-15. That part, they won't tell, but I know what some of the guys use that are shooting in the Ft. Blanding area are using, if you know what I mean.

The 1K load, is I'd guess, the new 90 grain JLK. All that Grant's dad (Gary Singley) was allowed to say was that they were "awful pointy" which to me says 90 grain. Twist would be 1 in 6.5".

I and many other HP shooters could probably hold near-1"-1.25" at 100 yards from prone, but to deal with wind and mirage screwing up what your aiming black looks like at 1000 yards, that is a real trick. I've fired several 194s in slow prone, but this is truly on the boundary of unreal.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member

Last edited by Steve Smith; July 25, 2002 at 10:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.03602 seconds with 8 queries