View Single Post
Old February 17, 2000, 05:30 PM   #6
Shawn Dodson

The FBI casts gelatin blocks that are 6x6x16 inches in dimension. This is the volume of gelatin solution that's produced by a mixture of 9 liters of water to 1 kilogram of ordnance gelatin powder. A kilogram is equivalent to 2.21 pounds. An FBI size block of gelatin weighs approximately 22 lbs.

All the ordnance gelatin preparation procedures I've seen on the Internet are overly cumbersome and obsolete. We'll considering publishing our entire procedure for gelatin preparation and calibration, which is far more simpler. Our procedure will include all the materials and equipment required along with a list of suppliers where these items can be obtained.

In addition, we'll probably publish our procedure for recycling used gelatin blocks. This practice substantially reduces the costs of ordnance gelatin. However, the biggest hurdle is start-up costs. We spent a lot of money to obtain laboratory grade ordnance gelatin testing capabilities (including refrigerator, chronograph, custom molds). We can cast gelatin blocks in the following sizes:

6x6x16 inches (standard FBI size using one batch of gelatin solution)

6x10x18 inches (two batches of gelatin solution)

10x10x18 inches (three batches of gelatin solution; the largest -- and heaviest -- in the industry that I'm aware of)

The gelatin blocks can be transported to the range in an insulated ice chest.

Triton Ammo Company was considering putting together a less expensive do-it-yourself kit that consisted of enough pre-measured gelatin powder to cast 2-3 blocks using .50 caliber ammo cans as molds. I don't know if they're still considering this, though.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Page generated in 0.02666 seconds with 8 queries