View Single Post
Old November 30, 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Chuckstar

Best EOTWAWKI Gun - NYC (no CCW, 10-rd mags)

OK, I know questions like this have been asked tons of times, but I feel like I have a unique twist on it. I'm looking for a handgun that will satisfy two criteria.

First, it should be fun to shoot.

Second, it will be my SHTF gun in case of really bad stuff happening in New York. (Bird flu looting, terrorist attack, gasoline riots, whatever)

What makes this different than other questions is that we still have the 10-round magazine law in NYC and there's no CCW, so I don't have to worry about concealment.

Without the mag limit, I think I would have gone with HK USP or SigP226. But I wasn't sure if I could get pre-ban mags for those. Even if I could get pre-ban mags, wasn't sure if mags that old would generally be reliable. If I can't get pre-ban mags then it doesn't make sense to get a double-column gun, so it might make sense to get something else.

I'm thinking of an automatic because (for me) it fits the "fun to shoot" criteria better -- which is the primary reason for buying it. Additionally, I was thinking of a SA because of the fun factor, but I am still debating it because DA seems to be simpler for the end-of-the-world-fight-my-way-out-of-NYC situation.

As far as caliber, I've seen way too many caliber debates, so that's not the point of this question.

Also, interested in everyone's thoughts about a holster. Since I can't CCW, a holster would only be used (outside of the range) for the really worst-case scenario where the city's gone to hell but I can't just stay in my apartment (for whatever reason). It should be concealable, since I still wouldn't be open carrying, but it wouldn't be something I'd be concealing every day, just for that end-of-the-world scenario where I could easily just wear a big jacket or something. So, easy to draw from, and plenty of magazine storage.

Page generated in 0.03265 seconds with 8 queries