View Single Post
Old December 2, 2005, 02:53 PM   #24
FatBoy

Quote:
New, ban-expired glock mags have no manufacture date on them. Go to a gunshow in a neighboring state, stick one in your luggage and go back home! Just don't get one stamped for "LEO". Those were made between 1994 and 2004.

Be wary of this advice. I was at a shop in NY recently where a LEO was picking up a new Glock. It appears the pre ban Glock mags were not metal lined. When full they would "swell" and prevent them from dropping clear when the mag release was pressed. New mags have a metal inner sleeve I believe. This prevents the swelling and allows a full or partially full mag to drop free when the release is pressed. By checking to see if the inner sleave is present the NY authorities could easily determine if it is a pre or post ban magazine.

Not completely true Musketeer.

First Gen Glock mags are Not Fully Metal Lined (NFML) or as some say non-drop free. Then Glock made Full Metal Lined (FML) or as some say drop free. Both can be found in Pre-Ban(9/94) years. Some NFML mags Will drop free and some FML mags won't drop free.

I agree that I would not buy new current mags and bring them into the State. Current post-post ban(9/04) mags have a slightly different shape to them and could be easily spotted by a LEO that knew what he was looking for. Question: does NY have a replacement clause in their laws? If so, you could get some old beat up crap mags and rebuild them into functioning mags.

As far as the original question, in no particular order.
Glock 19: I believe NYPD uses this...So plenty of ammo/mags around if needed.
Beretta 92: .gov uses the M9 so again plenty of ammo/mags around.
Sig 226: plenty of LEOs use Sigs.
1911: single stack mags can be purchased freely and.45 ammo is everywhere.

Stick to 9mm or .45 IMHO ammo is easy to find/store.

FB

...liberals always feel your pain unless of course they caused it.(D Miller)

Page generated in 0.03798 seconds with 8 queries