View Single Post
Old March 9, 2010, 10:12 AM   #14
CortJestir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bluerat
Go with an open mind and disregard everything you think you already know about shooting.
This is more important than any hardware, gear or ammo you bring to the line and I'm glad you took it to heart. Your original post is proof positive that we can all learn something new, if we just let ourselves. Glad you had a great time and congrats on making Rifleman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo
I went to Appleseed over the weekend. My best score was 190, on the first day. The second day my score went to 180, then to 166, then to not worth scoring, then my safety quit working. I finished out the second day on a borrowed 10/22 and did terrible.
This is more common than one thinks, especially on Day 2 during the "AQT Grind". It can be easy to lose focus - your muscles are aching from Day 1, the weather (hot, cold, rain, snow) starts to wear you down, your rifle starts malfing and you get distracted during the COF, etc. Pretty soon, it becomes difficult to remember Position, The 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors, NPOA, and cadence. Each one builds on the previous and if one is out of whack, so are all the rest that follow. As you found out, it takes persistence and concentration.

It's a climb, for sure, but the view from the top of the mountain is worth it. Keep it up. You know your high is 190 - that's almost knocking on the door! When you consistently score in the 190s, really put more effort on the 4th stage where points are doubled (you have 5 minutes on a stage-by-stage AQT to shoot 10 rounds, that's an eternity!!). Missed shots at this point are usually due to improper NPOA shifting, trigger work, and/or follow through. You'll soon hit the low-to-mid 200's consistently. And at that stage, it's just you psyching yourself out. Get in the "bubble" and finish the job!

Page generated in 0.02764 seconds with 8 queries