View Single Post
Old January 19, 2001, 12:41 PM   #5
Bruegger

Good explanation Noban!

It would be hard to add much to Noban's excellent advice, but here's a couple of additional minor points:

1. Be really carefly sliding the forward sling mount ring off and on - it's very easy to scratch the wood or finish.

2. In removing "the metal ring which holds the barrel to the stock fore-end," tap on one side, then on the opposite side, then 90 degrees from there and so forth, working your way around the part so that you're pushing it forward evenly (kind of like the way you tighten lug nuts a little at a time each rather than one all the way then the next). This will keep it from binding and make it much easier to remove.

3. I've had success with Dow Bathroom Cleaner ("Scrubbing Bubbles") instead of Easy Off for degreasing the wood, and it's not as nasty and foul smelling as oven cleaner.

4. Brake cleaner works great for removing cosmoline from the metal parts.

Noban -- do use 2 parts mineral spirits to one part BLO or the reverse? Does that work better than a one-to-one (that's what I was planning on trying on my Yugo). Have you tried Tung Oil vs. Linseed?

Page generated in 0.02656 seconds with 8 queries