View Single Post
Old December 4, 2002, 11:36 AM   #5
AZ Jeff

I know others have given advice that includes sorting brass by mfr., but I am an IPSC shooter, so my brass tends to get mixed up easily. I am also too lazy to sort the about 15 different brands of brass that I have managed to acquire over the years.

Thus, I take a conservative approach to avoid sorting. I use any decent brass I find (more on that in a second.) I then use 4.6 gr of WW231 behind a 115FMJ. It's a mild load, and I don't have to worry about case capacity/chamber pressure issues. It also runs in almost all my 9mm pistols quite well.

Some foreign commercial brass (Squires Bingham from the Phillipines is a good example) has such poor heat treatment from the factory that once fired brass, when resized, won't hold a crimp to prevent bullet setback upon feeding from the magazine.

I avoid that sort of stuff like the plague. Otherwise, I have found Federal, Winchester commercial, WCC "white box", Remington, IMI, Geco, and S&B all work well with this load. I have also never seen any cases with signs of high pressure using this load, in spite of using mixed brass, and I have loaded 10's of 1000's of rounds with this recipe.

Page generated in 0.02211 seconds with 8 queries