View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 07:02 AM   #1
MrBorland

Double Action Fun Shoot v2.0

OK, wheelgunners, I’m trying again.

The original version of this Fun Shoot was posted almost 2 weeks ago, but it became clear that some tweaking was needed. I reformatted the target so it ought to open and print uniformly and without a problem. I also tried to simplify and clarify the rules a bit.

This is a Fun Shoot for double action revolver shooters. A test of a shooter's overall accuracy while shooting in double action, shooters simply print the attached target, shoot, score, and post (or PM) the results. Highest score in each of 3 categories wins bragging rights and forum-wide huzzahs. In addition to being fun, you may satisfy some curiosity to see how you rate among your fellow wheelgunners, and it may highlight some areas you might be interested in improving upon.

This is intended to be a measure of overall accuracy with a double action trigger. You’ll be shooting strong and weak handed, both 2- and 1-handed, and your overall score is a measure of how well you do shooting all 4 of these combinations.

This is also intended to be offered as a self-assessment. By creating a target with 4 bullseyes on a single piece of paper, your score will more honestly reflect your relative strengths and weaknesses. This might be less so if standard targets are used, which might otherwise tempt the shooter to cherrypick their best results while ignoring the rest.

1. Target:

a. Print the attached target containing 4 bullseyes on standard 8.5 x 11” paper. The 4 bullseyes correspond to 4 combinations of strong/weak, 2- and 1-handed shooting. More info is included below.

b. To be valid, the overall score is to be determined from bullseyes from the same target, i.e. on the same piece of paper. If you flub a string, you can certainly re-shoot, but you'll have to use a fresh target and re-shoot everything to be valid.

c. Any one target should be completed in one trip to the range. Once you "start" the match by shooting one of the bullseyes, finish it by shooting the other 3.

d. No fliers. Everything counts. If you miss the paper entirely, or one of your shots encroaches on another bullseye, be honest, and let that shot count as "zero".

2. Distance: 21 feet (7 yards)

3. Shooting: 5 aimed deliberate shots per bullseye, 20 rounds total, shot standing, unsupported, double action only! As indicated in Rule 1 and on the target itself, you'll be shooting 4 combinations of strong/weak and one/two-handed.

a. Upper right bullseye: Shot 2-handed, with your strong hand firing the gun.
b. Upper left bullseye: Shot 2-handed, with your weak hand firing the gun.
c. Lower right bullseye: Shot 1-handed with your strong hand.
d. Lower left bullseye: Shot 1-handed with your weak hand.

4. Scoring: Total points. 200 possible. The higher point is awarded if the hole touches a line.

5. Sights: Irons only.

6. 3 Categories: Snubbie (≤3" barrel), Service (3"-4" barrel) and Target (>4") Revolver categories. Rimfire and centerfire compete together.

7. Reporting, Submission & Posting of Scores: A shooter may submit scores for any category they qualify, and may submit multiple times per category. Targets and scores may be posted directly to the thread or PM'd to me. Include the specific gun, barrel length and caliber. At the end of the match I'll post all the scores, but only reveal the top shooter in each category.

8. Completion Date: Midnight (EST), Saturday, February 28th. I'll try to post the results the next day.

I haven’t yet had the chance to try my hand at this revised version, and hope to get to the range early next week. In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback, feel free to pass it on.

Good Shooting!

DAfunShoot.v2.0.pdf

Page generated in 0.03075 seconds with 9 queries