View Single Post
Old January 23, 2007, 09:58 AM   #22
Laserlips

FWIW Dept:

It is my personal opinion that Glocks (and the everlite trigger) are best suited to profession leo's and those folks in associated fields. If you check around you will discover that the potential for nd/ad's is indeed much greater with Glocks than almost any other pistol..

I'm NOT anti-Glock, in fact had 2 Glock 26's in the past. I have read where the Glock 19 is a fantastic pistol. If you intend to put in the time to practice and become proficient with a Glock, AND the trigger doesn't bother you, then you cannot go wrong with a Glock.

But..

If you are just a "regular" guy and want a pistol for self defense, with minimum concern for nd/ad then I strongly suggest you handle, and if possible shoot the Walther P99.

I have found in my over 50 years of firearms ownership that the Walther P99c/AS to be the best all around firearm I've ever owned. It is absolutely the most accurate, and the grip ergonomics are fantastic. My complaint with my Glocks was based around the light trigger, and the blocky grip.. The Walther AS trigger/striker is absolutely perfect, and the grip feels like it is molded to my hand. The Walther offers extras that I prefer such as red "cocked indicator", red "loaded chamber" indicator, dual mag release integrated into the bottom of the trigger guard, position of the de-cocker (some folks don't care for this feature, I love it.) replaceable front sights for elevation (included), rear sight windage adjustable, etc.... Just a super overall package.

Hold them both, and if possible shoot them both. If the Glock cranks your clock you will be well served.

I have been so pleased with my compact that I just bought a full sized P99/AS... That's a pretty good testamony. If you wind up preferring the Walther P99 I highly recommend the AS version. You can monitor the various Walther sites (www.waltherforum.com or www.HandGunForum.net/Walther section) and you will see the "AS" is by far the most popular.

With the AS you are looking at 8.8lbs on the DA side/4.4 on the SA/ and 4.4 on the long trigger travel (Anti-stress part) SA. Hard to explain, but fantastic in practice.

Your personal needs in a self defense firearm might be different from mine. For me I require ABSOLUTE reliability, and sufficient accuracy at self defense range (5-7 yards) to place rounds in center mass of threat.

When I got my Walther P99c/AS I took it out back and shot from 5 yards just to see what adjustments might be necessary for poa/poi and found no adjustments were necessary. The picture was taken of the target shot from the first magazine I ran thru the P99c/AS... (The new full size P99/AS accuracy was the same way, but it is a bit larger and offered 15+1 capacity.)

I'm a senior citizen, declining vision, shaky hands... I shot from 5', freestanding, two hands... I was well pleased with the results, and I have a pile of firearms, but none better than my new Walther P99c/AS... (and it's larger sibling).

Finally in favor of the Walther over the Glock, FOR ME.. I just kinda like having something everyone else doesn't have.

Walther produces top quality firearms, and has done so for over a century. I have two P99's, one surplus P1, and one surplus P5.... All are excellent, and the P99's and the P5 offer fantastic accuracy right out of the box.

In case you missed it, I'm well pleased with my Walther's..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries