View Single Post
Old March 17, 2006, 12:54 PM   #13
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I think you'll find that most departmental use of force policies prohibit firing at a moving vehicle. Like the PIT maneuver, it's considered deadly force. There's several problems with it. Not only are there too many variables to predict where those rounds are going to go, you also usually don't know about any other occupants in the vehicle. Are there kids? Hostages?

It has been done, of course, as a last ditch effort to stop someone when there's no other way, but a round from a pistol, or even a patrol rifle, is far less effective than spike strips. A single bullet hole in a tire isn't much more than a slow leak, whereas the spikes in spike strips are hollow and are designed to release the tire's air at a controlled rate. The only thing that's really effective is a well placed round of 00 from a shotgun.

Quote:
That's odd. The .357 magnum was invented for just that purpose: disabling a vehicle. The .357 was designed originally to penetrate engine blocks.
I don't know where that started, but it doesn't work. We tried this several times years ago in a junkyard, and the block just laughed it off. Maybe a 180 grain hardcast Buffalo Bore? Don't know, but I still doubt it.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02140 seconds with 8 queries