View Single Post
Old March 17, 2006, 01:14 PM   #14
swmike

Having worked in the tire industry for over 20 years, I can attest that a tire is far more restant to bullets than "Hollywierd" makes it look. A spinning wheel/tire will tend to deflect a handgun round (rifles have more success) more often than not. Unless the shot is at the weakest part (the center of the sidewall) and close to right angles, it will most likely be deflected off in an unintended direction. This then leaves the bullet free to damage or kill on it's own.

Most attempts to stop a vehicle are usually carefully planned events (as much as they can be). Stop strips are used as they allow for a controlled deflation of the tire. That's why the "spikes" are hollow. To make a vehicle suddenly uncontrollable can be a bigger problem than just "herding" it to a remote location.

If safety to the public was not a concern, then all police cars would be equipped with AT-4 Anti-Tank weapons. Actually, it would sure solve a lot of problems. No more pursuit. No more BG. Just call a wrecker for the big pieces and a street sweeper for the rest.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Page generated in 0.03895 seconds with 8 queries