Thread: Shoot or Talk?
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1
larvatus

Shoot or Talk?

As Tuco told the corpse of his would-be assassin, "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." As I pointed out before, there's them that talk, there's them that shoot, and never the twain shall be one.

Over the past year I have been thinning out and upgrading my gun collection. I have sold guns online that ranged from a $750 S&W 1006 to a $7,500 SIG P210-L. Based on my experience, I would be very reluctant to buy another gun worth less than $2,000. That seems to be the point at which the value of the gun sufficiently exceeds the transaction costs of its acquisition to make its future sale or trade practicable. Below this point, the tire kickers tend to overwhelm the potential buyers.

I have enjoyed countless hours discussing guns with like-minded online personae. Through these discussions I have learned not to expect any return from my contributions. In keeping with Sayre 's Law, the intensity of debate tends to vary inversely with the value of its gravamen. That is why online debaters never convert to paying customers. Time is money. Anyone who can afford to waste your time is bound to come short in making up its value.

Next time someone engages you in a time-wasting dispute, think of him as Tuco's assailant. Cut him short by shooting. Don't talk.

Page generated in 0.03994 seconds with 8 queries