View Single Post
Old February 19, 2010, 02:12 AM   #18
Qwiks draw

Taking your grandfather to the local store that has a range and let him try out or fire the different kinds of guns.

There are also NRA basic courses, one on one, or larger class size where he can be introduced to the various models of gun and see what's best for him.

Local ranges and gun shops should have access to NRA accredited and credentialed instructors. I've had to stand back and let others teach family members to shoot even though I'm qualified to teach the basics.

Since it has been a while since he's shot, an assumption on my part, then letting him get the basics down first might be a good idea.

Whether he picks the Judge or some other gun, even a pistol, if that's what fits him and his needs means he can be confident when and if the time comes to use the gun. That's for fun or defense.

The shooters in my local informal bulls eye group are mostly 60 years plus of age. Some shoot center fire ( only 30 rounds per 1 day session, once a week), some shoot only the .22lrf version with the same round count, and others shoot both center fire and the .22lrf as a 2 gun set of stages. This not only keeps us old geezers proficient, but adds fun and commiserating together after the shoot.

Let him try out as many different types as is possible.

For example. I like and own many .357/.38 Special revolvers and 9mmx19 pistols. I can tailor the ammo/ gun combintation to fit the mission or need.

Lately I've been going to the .327 Federal caliber and the various other 32 calibers in revolver and pistol guises.

Getting older and a bit infirm mean that I have a fallback position to the .32s if and when needed.

In revolvers I have a Taurus snub in .327 Federal, a Ruger SP101 in that caliber, and a Ruger GP100 in the same caliber as well. These can also shoot the .32 H&R magnum, and the .32 S&W Long rounds. These are more prolific than in times past, yet are gentle if need be for practice. If not the power level can be ramped up to what is needed or can be handled.

I also procured a Taurus PT132, Beretta 3032 Tomcat, and a NAA Guardian. All are in .32 ACP. While the .32 ACP is no power house the newer generation JHPs have helped " get it up off it's knees" and make it a viable self defense round for those who cannot shoot something with more power.

The Tomcat comes with a tip up barrel so that the slide never need to be racked for loading or unloading.

All these 32 caliber guns can be used by those who live at home and are proficient to shoot either revolver, pistols, or both.

Recoil can cause flinch and the lowered powered rounds help in that area.

Shoot with what one one can and shoot it well. For some that might mean a low powered round and that is all the further things will go. It happens more than some will give things credit for. So it is wise to keep ones options open.

Who knows. Grandpa might take well to the Judge or some rip snorting round.

Don't know until he tries.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 8 queries