View Single Post
Old September 5, 2009, 11:14 PM   #1
rantingredneck

What to do with the finish on my police trade in 870??

I got this KY State Police trade in 870 from Budsgunshop.com recently. It's about what I expected it would be, worn on the outside, pristine on the inside. The action bars show very little bluing wear, telling me this gun was carried a lot in the cruiser and fired very little. Will need to add some wear marks of my own there....

But the finish has "character". Check out the pics below......

This seems to be some sort of baked on finish like Duracoat or similar. Not sure if the PD did that from the get go, or whether they refinished this gun somewhere in it's history with them. Either way it's chipping and flaking in several areas, leaving unprotected metal beneath. I'm leaning toward stripping the reciever and barrel down and doing a DIY spray on finish from Brownell's or the like. Would like some opinions here.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter much as this gun will be a truck gun and the finish will just get worn again. I guess more than anything I want to refinish it just because I'm a tinkerer at heart. This would be the first DIY spray finish job I've ever done though......thoughts??

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Page generated in 0.02595 seconds with 8 queries