View Single Post
Old November 21, 2002, 08:00 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Funny thing about cop killing hollowpoint bullets fired from handguns, even some cops believe that the rounds will pierce body armor. There are a couple of episodes from the show COPS where hollowpoint ammo is said by a cop to be able to pierce armor. One was an episode in NJ. Apparently, the cop had never seen what happens when a hollowpoint tries to penetrate body armor. If fired straight on, the hollow point mouth hole tends to try to close up and the bullet mushrooms from the girdle, not the mouth. The mouth ends up being pretty small, but the bullet still expands, and does NOT penetrate. The second Fugitive movie with Tommy Lee Jones has his character shot while wearing a vest. Later in the movie, he is shown fiddling with the rounds taken from his vest. Apparently, they did actually shoot rounds into a vest as they appeared to be deformed in the correct/expected manner.

Page generated in 0.03358 seconds with 8 queries