View Single Post
Old April 12, 2009, 09:24 AM   #19
rbb50

Really if it was my gun I would have just done what you did by taking a picture but then I would find the large side of the keyed slot with a caliper.

You will find one side of the keyed slot is just a hair wider than the other side in most all cases and the wide side is the side the sight needs to be pin punched out of.

Looks like that gun has polymer sights and possibly a polymer top frame which could be a problem of cracking if that key is tapered down on one side and the sight is removed from the smaller side of the key.

I would just do it to save time on having to take it back to the gun dealer finding out I would have to ship it to Springfield and wait 2-3 weeks before I got it back plus I know how to do it without messing up the gun also.

I have a feeling unless the dealer you bought it from has another just like it in stock you can check out to be fine that he would exchange for the defective one you might be in for a nice little time of waiting on the snail mail for weeks to get that gun repaired at the factory.

Now that I think of it the last time I did that it took 3 weeks to get it back and that was during a fantastic economy Reagan gave us back then.

Now days I have noticed instead of saying, “we can have it tomorrow” when I order some HVAC parts they say, “It will take 3-4 weeks what’s you phone number so we can call when it comes in because they are only manufacturing per order now days”?

Sometimes I do not get that call back and after 6 weeks I have to call and ask about the part I get the, “They are getting to your order” and this and that.

One part took 7 weeks and it was a part I use to get ordered and delivered in a couple of days or it was usually in stock at the store.

If it took 3 weeks during a time when I was getting HVAC parts the same day I hate to think how long of a wait it would be now days to ship a gun off to the factory to get it repaired.

Two years later, “Yes sir we are getting to your order for a new sight today and will ship your gun back in just 4 short weeks LOL

After dealing with S&W in that way once and then having them tell me they could not fix the gun it was always kind of a deterrent for me to ever do any business with any gun manufacture again.

After all I got the gun back and did fix it myself and never had a problem with it again.

No one could ever understand how S&W would say they could not fix a problem such as that and yet there I was firing away with a revolver I had easily fixed myself.

I understood it later when I called them and the recording said “For Espanola press one”, “For English press two”

If you call Springfield and get that same recording just let a local gun smith you can trust ping that sight out and reverse it.

Page generated in 0.03842 seconds with 8 queries