View Single Post
Old August 17, 2000, 01:31 AM   #22
Archie

tstr, glad you're okay. I blew out a pair glasses with a Daisy CO200 bb pistol in my mis-spent youth.

Anyway, couple of comments on various posts:
Shooting any bullet into a FLAT metal target will do one of two things; either destroy itself on impact (leaving the lead smear mentioned by xxero) or it will penetrate. Penetration in this instance is a matter of velocity, by the way.
I've put over 10,000 rounds onto metal targets, and have corroborated with men who have done more... trust me.
However, the bullet disintegrates and flies off tangental to the face of the target. So don't have anything off to the sides, except maybe splatter shields. Also, don't put the metal target over a cement walkway, you'll get a secondary splatter.

If a metal target has a "dimple" or cup shaped impression, one can (with suitable bad luck) put a bullet into one side of the depression, which will return it back at the shooter. Best returns are from softer (less likely to break), slower bullets.

LASur5r, rubber tires will "bounce" bullets with some good force. Not the hubcaps or wheels, the tires themselves. Also usually best (worst?) results come from slower bullets. The tires give, not allowing the projectile to penetrate, then rebound....

Probably the same thing that happened with the 45 Colt and the tree stump. "Green" wood is "bouncier" than older, dried wood. Go figure.....

Mike Irwin, I shoot one of the (North American?) derringers in 45ACP one time. Never griped about the recoil of my 1911 again.......

------------------
Archie

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries