View Single Post
Old October 7, 2008, 06:46 AM   #1
matthew temkin

Cirillo On Point Shooting

Many anti point shooters talk about Cirillo's first gunfight with the Stakeout Squad, which involved some incredible rapid fire aimed shooting skills.
Naturally they use this to knock point shooting.
So I found this paragraph from the newly published book, JIM CIRILLO'S Tales Of The Stakeout Squad most interesting...

.."and when (Jeff) Cooper heard that I was in the Stakeout Squad, that I was in all of these gunfights, that was it--I became HIS hero.
Cooper started dragging me all over the place to give lectures and it was very odd. We were lecturing at a Western Montana police science college, he;s telling them, "Front sight front sight, sight, sight, sight..and I actually had to refute him. I'd say, "Of course if you are in the military and you are shooting beyond fifty yards, you'd better use your sights. But toe to toe, I don't know if you should use your sights. In law enforcement your problem isn't your front sight, it's your background. if you're looking at your front sight you can't see that some poor black guy is pulling a black wallet out of his back pocket, and you think he's pulling out a gun. This has happened time and time again."
Hmmmm..very interesting.
And Jim makes a great point on another benefit of focusing on the threat rather than the sights---visibility of the suspect.
Which is why a lot of my mentors taught me to focus on the BG's navel area when challenging or shooting either with or without the sights.

Page generated in 0.03796 seconds with 8 queries