View Single Post
Old July 24, 2008, 10:20 AM   #41
ImDisaster

Ok....I don't want to Taurus bash. Like I said, I own one, and trust it to protect me.

Having said that I do think the responsible thing to do is to back up my observations with pictures. These are pictures of the slide and frame on my Taurus. I haven't seen this kind of rough machining in any other gun I've owned and I don't think it bodes well for Taurus quality control.

Here is a shot showing an extraneous piece of metal that either peeled back or didn't get cut off on the slide. Indications of dull tool, incorrect tool speed, or bad tool path.

Here is a picture of chatter marks which create a rough, rasp like surface finish. This can be a tool speed or bracing issue.

Here is a bore that was drilled and not deburred with a raised lip. Above it is another view of the metal curl on the slide. A slower tool speed will often yield a clean hole. One can also debur in a separate operation or as part of the same one.

Here is some rough machining around frame holes and what looks like impact marks from setting in the pins. This probably was caused by inconsistent tool heights...including the punch press.

Here is where the recoil spring is seated against the frame. It is working material off the frame (metal shavings.) I must retract my original comment about the slide stop peening. It is the recoil spring that is peening the frame. You can also see raised metal where a bore hole was drilled below close to that surface and it pushed the metal up. This indicates a dull drill or a drill pushed too fast.

This gun functions great so far. It is accurate and reliable. I don't know how these or other unseen quality control issues might effect the long term durability but they are disconcerting...especially for someone who has a background in manufacturing such as myself and understands what they indicate.

Page generated in 0.03771 seconds with 8 queries