View Single Post
Old June 6, 2001, 07:21 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

While I don't know where you can get lessons for this, I think I can shed light on why it is done. MatthewM had it right, for the most part. This type of behavior goes on in nature all the time.

Many animals, including humans, assess their opponents based on size and displays of power. Some animals will try to stand taller to appear bigger, present their broad side, bare their teeth, beat their chest, puff up, stamp the ground, growl, grunt, etc. These are all types of displays that are intended to show their opponents just how tuff they are, whether it is to protect themselves from a predator or when fighting over who gets mating rights to a female.

The homeboy style of shooting serves this purpose very well. The raising of the gun serves to make the person holding the gun appear taller. It also serves to display the gun. A taller person is a 'bigger' person, hence must be more powerful. The display of the gun is like baring teeth. The whole package says, "I'm big, powerful, and have the tools to hurt you."

As noted above, this is not the most accurate form to use for shooting. Many display behaviors are not terribly practical either from tactical perspectives, but they serve the purpose of creating an illusion of more power.

Why is the gun held flounder style? That is a product of biomechanics. With the gun held in the air, it would be difficult to hold the gun up and still point is down towards the intended recipient.

Page generated in 0.02539 seconds with 8 queries