View Single Post
Old October 27, 2007, 11:09 AM   #3
MeekAndMild

Yes you're right. I guess its like the camo question in a way, is there any real advantage or disadvantage other than preference and style? And I agree about the glass. I've upgraded considerably since the last time I broke a scope. Three of the four guns have backup iron sights, just take off the scope and go. Interesting thing about the one on the 336. It is a really cheesy looking glossy black model with an adjustable ocular lens and looks like it should be on a phaser instead of a rifle but its the best Bushnell I've ever seen.

All these calibers have been taking bears for decades and three of them for over a hundred years. (The youngest, .35 Whelen, 85 years old, was designed in 1922! It's just a necked up 30-06, similar in performance to the old .358 Winchester as well as several of the lower power 35 magnums.)

The choice of modern bonded pointed bullets is a jump for me, as old post-WWII style Core-Lokts and Silvertips reputedly do just as well when they hit a bear. The trouble is that the current factory loaded ones of either offering are not as accurate in my guns. (Maybe its the Double Tap guys trying harder to make a consistent product?) I do like Ballistic tips for deer, but deer are a smaller and softer that bears I would suppose. Bonded bullets are reputed to hold up better if they hit a bear-sized rib.

I have wondered about some of the newer glitzier bronze bullets (sort of the bullet equivalent to hundred dollar sequined flip flops) but couldn't see myself shooting up so much money sighting them in and testing them. Plus I could imagine what would happen if a bronze bullet hit a rib and just ricocheted right out of the bear.

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries