View Single Post
Old September 28, 2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
Perhaps you missed the part where I said I was testing the compression strength of the spring after each usage to make sure it is not showing signs of fatigue.
No, I got that part. I just see it like-- what, $10 recoil spring... on a maybe thousand dollar pistol?

Logically, it doesn't seem to add up. (IMO, anyway)

And what if your compression test shows "ok" before you start that session, and the second shot degrades the spring, and you put 98 more shots through it before your next compression test... Then you've done two shots of good firing, and 98 incidents of battering, all for the purpose of finding the life expectancy of a $10 spring?

Of course, there's no way to tell if each spring is going to fail at the same point, so you could repeat this test with ten different recoil spring and thousands of rounds. In the unlikley event you came to a viable scientific conclusion, all you have accomplished is to attach a round count to a $10 spring on a thousand dollar pistol. (which Rohrbaugh apparently has already done)

Now if the recoil spring cost a hundred a pop, I can see wanting to know the specific usable life of one.

But hey, your stuff, results will no doubt be interesting and I saw your recent thread where there's no upcoming purchases that are exciting you and the energy must go somewhere, so I wish you luck and I'll enjoy keeping tabs on the thread. Really, I mean that.

Page generated in 0.04231 seconds with 8 queries