View Single Post
Old December 2, 2002, 07:13 PM   #24
beetlefang

writings like this are simply prejudice...

People applying rare faults to a population or gender as a whole...and do so under the guise of spreading the truth...

What if we changed the term hunter in the above satire to 'black, or white, or feminist, or lesbian, or Methodist..." then everyone would say that the writer was a racist or homophobe or bigot or whatever.

But, in our environment of 'political correctness' one can bash 'the South' as a bunch of beer drinking trigger fingered hooligans who migrate North to the happy hunting lands merely to defy the laws of the state.

Most hunters do not fit this profile. Most gun owners do not plan massacres or serial snipings. Most motorists are not rage riders. Most parents don't abuse their children. Most veterans are not a fragmented psyche ready to go over the edge....yet silly editorials like this depict the 'facts' and divide law abiding groups and are a catalyst for hate and anger.

In depicting the least and most extreme actions by a group, writers are catagorizing the whole group based upon one silly persons actions - and then flaunting their prejudice as the truth.

We have a 'freedom of speech' in this country. It's not 'free speech'. It wasn't gifted for free to liberal writers...it was paid for with blood by persons who sometimes couldn't even read or write. I can empathize with a persons frustrations concerning poor outdoor ettiquette, but I won't apply it to the norm - I know too many good outdoorsman to do that; many of them even hunt.

-Beetle

Page generated in 0.03430 seconds with 8 queries