View Single Post
Old January 4, 2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Chris Cullen

Can I agree and disagree at the same time??

I like both. Honest.

My consideration factors:

1. Yes Glocks have been in a list of accidents involving accidental discharges, and on the same note is the "untold stories" about accidental discharges from the good old revolver. Hard to believe isn't it?? No it can't be true! Revolvers are safer than semi-autos...to an extent.
What people tend to lose the concept of is the fact being that a lot of injuries are caused by negligence and outright mistakes. It happens.

2. 6 rounds versus 15 rounds + (Who wins that one?)
Yeah yeah.... I hear the "if you can't hit the target with 6 rounds you shouldn't be carrying". Hrmm.... if only those good old gun fights would be limited to 6 rounds per person....

3. Safety Safety Safety. My friend the revolver is a pleasure to handle because it is safe to unload, due to the fact being that the contact with the barrel from the rounds point of view, is broken when you open the cylinder. The semi-auto requires a little more care and attention as that last round needs some gentle assistance to leave the firearm in the proper manner. A revolver with an open cylinder on the bench screams "I'M EMPTY!". An open slide on a semi-auto demands another check just to be sure.

4. Weight: Some people like something with a bit of bulk on their hip, instead of a weight that makes you constantly think the thing has fallen out of your holster. This thought is not always a disadvantage. Firearm retension awareness is a positive habit to have.
With a whole heap of other things that you have to cart around on your duty belt, a light pistol is peace of mind.

5. Public perception: Now this is probably not an issue in the US, but in Australia and other related countries, the exposure of a firearm in a public place is a serious issue. Our laws prevent us from carrying a firearm exposed in a public place (must be retained in the holster of course!) if it is against the public interest and is going to cause fear in a public place. I know.. bunch of whimps you say... well unfortunately Australia is not accustomed to the constant view of firearms. A nice big shiny silver revolver draws attention like flies to a dead animal. Its an open invitation to an array of questions like: "is it loaded?", "Is it real?", "would you ever shoot anyone with it?". The semi-autos however, are in a different league. A flat black shape attracts attention, but you're gone before they have a chance to double take on what they thought they saw.

So... my moral to the story: You carry what you want to carry

Chris Cullen

Page generated in 0.03204 seconds with 8 queries