View Single Post
Old January 4, 2006, 09:50 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

My take is that while some may feel the revolver has inherent superiority, it does so only for the more skilled shooter. As such, there are several reasons why revolvers are no long standard issue sidearms for most law enforcement agencies and militaries.

Some folks do very well with revolvers, but long DA trigger pulls are difficult for less experienced revolver shooters to effect smoothly enough to maintain accuracy at distances beyond very close and the reload process is more complicated and seems to give some a lot of trouble.

The so-called inherent superiority means nada if you can't hit your opposition and can't reload quick enough to protect yourself.

In reality, there is nothing inherently superior about a revolver or semi-auto. They are both just inanimate tools that don't do a darned thing without a person that provides the external and additional forces to make them function. Whether or not a gun design is superior depends on the person running it.

I have seen revolver shooters beat semi-auto shooters in matches, but not too many. The semis do offer some nice mechanical compensations for training shortcomings in many cases, such as SA triggers, higher capacityies, ease of reloading.

Regardless of the product, so-called superior designs often lose appeal when they can't be manipulated effectivily by the general public using said products.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries