View Single Post
Old January 4, 2006, 02:15 PM   #15
GregM

I just thought i'd chime in here with a different perspective. I am a LEO, and I love my Glock for a duty weapon. I've been in Law Enforcement for over 7 years and have only been privy to 2 "negligent" discharges, not accidental mind you. Both were with MP5's, one in training, one in an actual raid. Training in Law Enforcement is the key and its sometimes mindblowing as to how little training officers receive. I personally train on my own and am a student of guns and gun handling. I have had malfunctions with Semiautos and here just recently, had a MAJOR malfunction with a brand new S&W revlover, I have a thread on here somewhere about the malfunction. Anything mechanical can fail. The mechanical safety to me is a moot point in Law Enforcement circles. For home defense I guess a safety would be ok if you leave the gun laying around where someone could pick it up....but that's bad! If I need my duty weapon to fire, it fires, if I don't need it to, my finger stays off the trigger. That's really the only way to make a gun fire anyway. Accidental or negligent discharges are caused by one thing....they had their stinking finger on the trigger when they did not have any reason to shoot what they had the gun pointed at. That all goes back to training or the lack of it. I carried a S&W 5906 for several years and the safety was always OFF, that's how I trained. The safety was between my ears! If TSHTF for you, you will fight like you train, all your senses concentrate totally on your threat, and your training takes over.

Page generated in 0.02895 seconds with 8 queries