View Single Post
Old February 12, 2001, 10:37 PM   #1
hksigwalther

Well, finally got to shoot the QEII (only 40 rounds). The main purpose of the trip to the range was to allow a co-worker sample a few 9mms as it that caliber is on his list for a near future purchase. Since he didn't show up, out came the QEII.

Unfortunately, I left my rifle rests at home. Only thing I had for a rest was the soft rifle case (rolled up). Despite being rolled up, the case was still quite low. So, I hunkered down to meet the sights on the target which was about 1.5-2.0 feet above the level of the rifle at ~65 yds. (65 yds is the maximum for my local range.) Chambered a round, squeezed, BANG, ow. Dang but that .308 can kick. Tried to raise the rifle a bit so I wouldn't behind the rifle as much by slipping the binocular case under the rifle. BANG, ow, still hurting. Tried to get it a little higher and adjust the sights to get on the cardboard. BANG, ow. Those first three rounds were the worst I have ever shot pain-wise. At this rate I don't think my shoulder would have lasted 10 rounds and the rifle is still not zeroed. Well, only thing to try is standing unsupported. Not very accurate but would probably save my shoulder.

Surprisingly enough the rifle was VERY PLEASANT to shoot standing. NO pain at all. Spent the remaining 20 rounds (5 round groups at a time) in the first box to get elevation - ~3.6 mark on the rear sight ladder. Shooting 4.5-5.0 inches to the left. Did not have anything to adjust the windage (front sight) so I left it.

First 2 - 5 round strings are :

The best group was the first off of the white on the left ~3 inches. Tried a little Kentucky windage to get in the white but was not aiming very well against the brown cardboard (second group). Then tried making a fist with my weak hand and resting the mag on top for the next string. Last string with my weak hand open and the mag resting on my palm. Groups got worse, ~6-8 inches. Had 18 rounds of Winchester Match but decided not to use them as I felt it would just go to waste.

The rifle fired flawlessly, no misfires. The factory mag fed flawlessly. The aftermarket mag choked after 3 or 4 rounds. Despite having wider front and rear feed lips, the front lips hung the rounds up when they were being stripped. The factory mags allow the nose of the cartridge to ride up the feed ramp which draws the round toward the center and allows the shoulder of the cartridge to ride above the front feed lips. The aftermarket mag's front feed lips catch the shoulder of the cartridges. A little Dremmeling should correct it but a better choice, if anyone is looking to buy a QEII, is to buy factory mags, they cost just $10 more and are built better. Didn't know a source for factory mags until marcus mentioned Sportsman's Guide had them.

The bolt worked with little effort and did not bind. I was trying to control ejection so the casings wouldn't fly out too far so I am not sure how far they would eject. Casings did not stick in the chamber. The compensator worked very well. Muzzle climb did not seem to exceed 2 inches. The noise was very loud, even with ear muffs on. This was amplified by the three wall/roof shack that surrounds the benches. Cheekweld was a bit low due to the low comb (at least for me). A solution would be a padded cheekrest.

Overall, the rifle worked very well and was very enjoyable to shoot off hand. Very handy and light but did not recoil as much as I thought it would (off of the bench). Next time, I will scope it and bring the proper benching gear for accuracy work. Have not tried any of the survival gear in the butt stock compartment. Am thinking about getting another, as cheap as they are.

Keep in mind that this is 65 yds unsupported and I am far from the best shot.

My suggestions :

1. Save your shoulder and do not shoot this rifle prone or have your shooting shoulder immobilized.
2. Use factory mags.

My shoulder hurts.

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 8 queries