View Single Post
Old November 20, 2006, 06:33 PM   #9
nobody_special

The CZ is worth a look. I'd get an H&K if it weren't so expensive (my budget is about $400-500, not including ammunition).

Like Glocks and Springfield XDs, the Walther P99 and Sig 226 don't have safety switches.

I've seen discussions of Glock's "safe action," and how the real safety is between the ears of the handler, keeping the finger off the trigger etc... I don't buy it. EVERYONE makes mistakes sometimes, no matter how careful or well-trained. I've read 4 separate stories about police officers (one was a firearms instructor!) being injured by accidentally discharging their Glocks while holstering or drawing the weapon, plus an incident where two police officers were chasing a car thief. In that case, they jumped a fence and one officer fell; his gun went off because a stick or branch hit the trigger. The other officer thought the guy they were chasing had shot his partner, so he shot and killed the suspect.

Consider the 4 safety rules. There's some redundancy in them. If you forget and put your finger on the trigger, and accidentally discharge a weapon as a result, nobody should be hurt if you were following rule #2 (keep it pointed in a safe direction). Redundancy in safety is good because people make mistakes. I will be getting instruction and I plan to practice regularly so I will be comfortable with the firearm. I'm very careful and I know the safety rules, but I would never feel comfortable with only the trigger safety.

I know there are a lot of Glock fans out there, and that's fine. I don't want to start an argument or flame war. This is just my opinion. You carry what you like, but I want a thumb safety. I will not consider any firearm that doesn't have one.

I'm surprised that people are recommending something smaller than a 5"; I'm not going to be carrying concealed... wouldn't the more accurate 5" be desirable for home defense?

Page generated in 0.02774 seconds with 8 queries