View Single Post
Old September 9, 2002, 11:57 AM   #3
BrokenPaw

Quote:
Outside of that, I do have a few questions. What is the time rating on the UPS to keep the electro magnet juiced? Does the lock default to lock open or closed on power failure from the UPS? Is the warning beep on the UPS turned off for when the power gets cut? Is the space fire proofed or hardened in any way, or just concealed?
The UPS has a rating of 650VA. The mag-lock itself draws 800mA at 12V (through a standard wall-wart adaptor), so I have at least several hours of backup.

The lock defaults to open, and the door is under spring tension, so when the lock disengages, the door opens (actually it moves directly outwards, like a filing-cabinet drawer) about 18 inches. This is based upon my requirements as I see them; I designed the thing to fail open, knowing that if I'm in a long-term but non-badguy power outage, I can open the door, disable the door actuators, and re-lock the thing. Then, when UPS power ultimately gives out, the door won't be locked, but everything will still be concealed. I have a design option in mind for making the door remain locked in a power-loss situation, and I'll probably tinker with that next.

Currently, the UPS is set to beep on line-level drop. This is while I'm testing the thing. Once I'm satisfied that everything works as planned, I will switch it to silent.

The space is not fireproofed or hardened. The space I used would be a real nightmare to do either of those things to, so I left them out, and chose to go with concealment for protection. The door itself is heavy particleboard, and provides enough protection that no one could get into the compartment without waking me, but it certainly wouldn't stop a burglar if I wasn't home and he knew where to look.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the whisperings of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.
- Ardaynes #38

Page generated in 0.03430 seconds with 8 queries