View Single Post
Old September 10, 2002, 11:33 AM   #12
BrokenPaw

Quote:
Sounds like you found a good solution, but I am curious about one thing. Did you discuss at all your firearms situation with your gf before she moved in?
She and I discussed firearms very early on in our relationship. And long before I ever met her kids.

She initially was a fence-sitter about guns in general. She didn't know anything about guns, but she also felt that not knowing about them wasn't an excuse for her to decide they were "bad", so she chose not to have an opinion about them at all. After we met and started dating, she found out that I carried pretty much all the time, and she asked why. We talked at length about the philosophy of self defense, and she has gone from being a fence-sitter to being a strong advocate for gun rights, self defense, and gun ownership. She has asked me to teach her kids about guns (which would have had to happen before they moved in, in any event; at the very least I would have insisted on teaching them and drilling them on the Four Rules and so forth). She wants them to learn to shoot, and how to safely handle firearms when they're old enough.

The reason for the concealed vault is less because her kids will be at the house, and more because her kids will likely be having friends over. As I said in a post above, I can train her kids, but I can't count on their friends' parents to have properly trained their own kids.

So mostly I wanted a place to put my guns and gun stuff, so that the neighbours and their kids need never know that I'm a shooter.

Additionally, my gf's ex-husband is familiar with guns (having been in the military for some time), so he's not concerned at the fact of my having guns where his kids are living, but she and I both felt that we should show him that I'm being responsible about his kids' safety, since they're living in my home.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the whisperings of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.
- Ardaynes #38

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries