View Single Post
Old October 27, 2002, 11:18 AM   #37
Zak Smith

MK-
Quote:
5. If you want to change the mentioned society in the better direction, you cannot do it by suppying the citizens with even more guns
John R. Lott and David B. Mustard, from the University of Chicago, studied crime data from all 3,054 counties in the United States from 1977 to 1994 and concluded:
Quote:
"We find that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters violent crimes, without increasing accidental deaths. If those states without right-to-carry concealed gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,500 murders would have been avoided yearly. Rapes would have declined by over 4,000, robbery by over 11,000, and aggravated assaults by over 60,000."
From "Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns", Journal of Legal Studies (v.26, no.1, pages 1-68, January 1997) http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/~llou/guns.html

Read that carefully- it says that when people can legally carry concealed handguns, the violent crime rate decreases with no additional accidental deaths.

Quote:
3. I cannot find a reason for why I should own a killing device. I don't feel that I need it.
Feeling do not make a valid argument. That you "can't find a reson to own" a gun does mean that nobody "needs" one - just that you aren't exercising your imagination enough to see a situation in which being trained to use the firearm you have handy would be the "right answer." It's trivial - TRIVIAL - to find instances in the news where innocent people in Europe are attacked violently. The right to self-defense always exists, and those people could have used firearms - extremely effective tools - to rightously defend themselves.

In addition, a populace that is free to own arms makes for a country that is secure from tyranny and invasion.

Quote:
7. Why not isolate the "abnormal ones" from the "normal ones" then? Of course, you cannot do that because they belong to the same society.
Besides some flat-out failings of our justice system, the main reasons are that: (1) you can't punish someone before they do something wrong, and (2) you have to respect the freedoms and rights of people before they are convicted of a crime - which means that some people will "get away with it", but fewer innocent men will be imprisoned.

-z

Page generated in 0.03468 seconds with 8 queries