Thread: 32 Magnum
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2009, 02:01 PM   #20
Hammer It

Quote:
I was wondering if there is any documentation on the production numbers of the S&W Model 631 32 Mag and the break-down on the different variations of said model?

The little information I have found indicate the 2'' is something of a rarity with production numbers below 1000. I however can find no solid evidence of this. Any thoughts or direction for documentation?
Hello Dirtreaper & Jim
From what I have Read they Only Produced a total of 1000 Model 631's in The standard 2" Snub, The 2" Lady Smith Version and the 4" Kit Gun version. I have heard 500 of Each, but that was Pure speculation and I have no idea of how one could prove otherwise. The .32 Caliber is very appealing as far as accuracy Goes. I also like the .32S&W Long Caliber and recently Magnumized it by reading a current Guns & Ammo Article. I Loaded an 85 Grain Hornady XTP in front of 4.0 Grains of Unique Powder and it clocked an amazing 1150 FPS Out of my 6" Calssic K-32 Revolver which is unheard of in the Old School Load Books for the .32 S&W Long.

I like this caliber because it has Very Little recoil and the results of a tight group are just short of amazing. At one time, The .32 S&W Long was the daily carry caliber of most Police agencies, but over time it got swept aside for the larger more Powerful magnum calibers. It is no secret it is also a great target round due to it's low recoil and Inherint accuracy qualities. That said, I have been running a bunch of handloads through this K-32 Target Masterpiece attempting to find the Perfect One.

I found a Guns & Ammo article on the famous classic .32 S&W Long but the New Loads were Much More Potent than the standard Old school Loads. So from that article while using Two different Powders one being Hodgens Tight Group and the Other being Vitavorti N-310 I Honed down on a Great Target Load for this K-32 Target Masterpiece. To give you a little back ground on what it took to get to this Point I have Loaded and fired at this time 21 Different handloads and used Better than 600 Bullets while Testing.When I get a Hard On for a caliber I run the Gauntlent trying to find what works best like most avid hand loaders do

I managed to get the Load down to it's most accurate Point with using 2.4 Grains of Vitavorti N-350 Powder, a 98 Grain lead Bullet trimmed to length .32 S&W Long Brass cases, a CCI-350 Primer and a Medium crimp. Below is the Test Target I fired at Yesterday while at the range. The distance for all Practicle purposes Intended was set at the 20 Yard Line. The daylight sun was strong on my Back while shooting it made the target Glow when I fired these Six shots into it. You will see one Hit on the Left of The Bulls Eye. That was The first shot fired with this experimental load.

I Then adjusted the windage on the sight and the Next Five grouped Under A Half Inch. I came home very Pleased with this group, but as most handloaders I feel it Can be Improved Upon so I Loaded 50 More rounds at One Tenth of a Grain of Powder being 2.3 seeing if the slight reduction will shrink the group a Little more. I Plan on getting there early this week to test this what I hope to be Final Batch of Handloads in a revolver that has been a real Challenge to find the barrels sweet spot... Hammer It.

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries